Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Introduction

I am from the United States, but am currently living outside the US. I am currently not enjoying myself much and feel depressed. I decided to start this blog to track what I am learning. By tracking what I am learning each day I hope to help myself, stay accountable for what I learn. I feel that learning is part of living, the less you learn each day, the less you live.

I have one daughter born September 2004, and already knows English and Arabic as a first language. I feel proud of myself with her English. I am the only one really speaking to her in English here and she knows how to count from 1-12, rectangle, triangle, square, etc, colors, A-G and more. She likes being read to. She has even mentioned that she likes me putting her to sleep more than anyone else because I read to her before bed. It is too bad that we can't find to many Arabic board books (made for toddlers, every page in hard). I think that reading to her in English helps her learn English faster even though most people here only speak Arabic (Her Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and more) .

It is hard for me to learn Arabic as fast as her, because she is young and is know getting more attention. I am currently taking Arabic at in Institute. I am starting to get the pronunciations down, but the grammar and memorizing words is still hard. My husband is too busy to help me and his family can't speak English. What does a person do? I just spend time at home between classes and going out with my husband about once a week. At least my daughter can handle both languages. She is only two and someone told me in Arabic "To have a seat" and my daughter said "Momma, sit down". At least I knew what the guy was saying, but it is pretty nice that my daughter can translate.

I just find it hard here and am hoping to go back to the US and return to school. I want to study Computer Information Systems, programming makes me feel wonderful. But here I have nothing to program. It makes me sick just staying at home and watching to few English TV channels they have. Dr. Phil, Rachael Ray and Oprah are my friends here. I don't know what I would do without them. Also I couldn't live without the Internet. The Internet is my life-line to the world.

I will be starting to make my list of what I learned each day and what I was reminded. If I learn something the is incorrect just let me know.

No comments: